So, I'm going to try my hand at watercolour painting... again.
It all started... 4 years ago when I went on a yoga retreat. There was an afternoon workshop on watercolour painting and I was hooked! Of course, I have little to no artistic talent, but watching all the colours swirl together was addictive.
I took a class offered through the city of Ottawa in 2003, but the instructor was a bit harsh - he expected us all to be the next professionals. Trying to teach a group of very beginners with condescending tones and group critiques of their first tries is not going to inspire anyone to continue. Anyways, what I took home from that class was that I should learn how to draw (because he insisted that you had to draw to paint). So, 2 drawing classes later, I'm back to learn watercolour.
(I have to give credit to my drawing instructor for that. If she hadn't been so patient and encouraging, it probably would've turned me off any kind of artistic venture.)
I don't know if watercolour is my favourite medium, I haven't really tried anything else. I think I'd like acrylics - they seem to be a bit more forgiving. But I have the paints and everything, so I figure I'll start with watercolour and if I do have some inner artist I can try other types of painting.
The instructor for this class is Ted Duncan. He's a bit hard to follow sometimes, but I think it is because he is very knowledgeable and all the information kind of comes tumbling out all at once. Our first class where we actually painted was fun - it's a good group of people. This week we're painting a simple still life of one fruit, which the focus being on composition. I'm not going to be at that class, so I'm going to have to paint it on my own. I'll let you know how it goes!
I'm thinking a pear... or an apple...
Sunday, February 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm enjoying your blog - have you tried painting your fruit objet d'art yet?
Your art teacher certainly chooses detailed scenes for his works - must be a challenge with watercolours, or does he do acrylics too?
Have a great day!
Prairie Girl
Post a Comment