Thursday, February 1, 2007

a curious incident


So I recently finished reading the book "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" by Mark Hadden.

Now, don't let the subject matter of the murdered dog do you in - that's what kept the book sitting unread on my shelf for so long. It kind of turned me off the idea of reading it, but it doesn't overwhelm the book.

It is a story written from the perspective of a 15 year old autistic boy. Needless to say, it isn't like any other book I've read. It was a quick read, and yet thought provoking and touching. It provides a unique glimpse into the mind of someone who is cut off from the world by that same mind. I found it a bit stressful to read sometimes - the character is easily overwhelmed by the details of the world, and of course all this is translated into the novel. However, I find this is what makes the book so great: you realize that there is no "right" way of being, just many different ways of experiencing the world around us.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time is a great book. It really makes you realize that even though everyone is different, we all have much to contribute.

Note: This is the first "book report" of any kind I've written in over 12 years...

No comments: