Friday, February 9, 2007

Hockey night in Ottawa

Last night I went to my first ever NHL game! My friend Kim had some tickets, so we had a girl's night out of dinner and the game. It was fun! It was a full house, with 19,000 some people - so there was lots of energy and enthusiasm.

The Sens played the Habs... and those Montreal fans are loud and numerous! But, the Ottawa fans were louder and more numerous and we totally won (4-1 Ottawa) so it was all good. :-)



To sound like a geek for a minute: I'm always impressed by the skating skills. Watching the game it's easy to forget that the players are on blades. If I was out there I'd be wobbling all over the place and falling down a lot. Unassisted. You wouldn't have to check me; I'd do it to myself!

I get a kick out of the hard core fans. They're soooo involved. You'd think they were the ones skating and taking the hits! There's a sociology experiment there somewhere (and it's been done already I'm sure)... I enjoy the game and will cheer the players on, but I don't believe that my being there and yelling is making them win, you know?

Kim tells me that the new pink sweaters are to appeal to the female fans. Hmmmm... I like pink, but if a team's colours are red, white, gold and black, why would pink be better?! Besides, we both agreed that if you wanted to appeal more to the female fans, the uniforms should be modified in the way of the football players' pants... and the teeth should stop getting knocked out. :-)

Well, I'm going to go and finish my extra large coffee now - I am a bit sleepy after the night out!

1 comment:

Mark said...

I'm surprised you hadn't been to a game before. It's definitely fun when they win, although if they lose badly or get shutout it's kind of a drag. You should go to a playoff game, the atmosphere is even more intense, although regular season Toronto and Montreal games are pretty close.