Thursday, February 1, 2007

Working at home

So, yesterday was my first Telework day. Also known by the government acronym "WAH" (Work at Home). I'm going to be doing this on Wednesdays from now on. So far this is what I've discovered:

Advantages:

1. You save 2 hours of commuting, which makes for a shorter workday. (That's a biggie!)
2. You get to have a yummy homemade lunch (and watch Law & Order if it's 1 pm).
3. You get to snuggle with kitty cat when she's willing (or have her attack your toes while you're trying to work and she's trying to play).
4. You get to wear jeans and comfy clothes.
5. You get more work done because of the lack of interruptions.
6. It splits up the work week so things feel less monotonous.

Disadvantages:

1. You're alone in the house all day. (Probably the biggest one for me.)
2. Your workspace is not ergonomically correct which makes for stiffness by the end of the day. (I really wonder what all this computer work is doing to us...)
3. No matter how many programs you have on your computer, you'll still be missing the internal work database you need.
4. You have to be really disciplined to do the work and not nap or do other fun things.
5. You have to carry files back and forth.

So far I'm finding that the advantages are greater than the disadvantages. I do need to get my home office cleaned up though - I was working on the dining room table yesterday which is really non-ergonomic. My new laptop is the hero - it's great! I wish my work computer worked as well :-)

No comments: