Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Icing, icing and more icing!

So I learned a new skill last weekend... CAKE DECORATING!

Richard's sister and I decided that after years of attempting to decorate cakes with various levels of success, we'd take a course. So, last Saturday we went to Artistic Cake Design and took Cake Deco I.

It was great! Within 15 minutes of learning how to make icing, I felt I'd got my money's worth. No matter how much cookbook following or internet reading a person does, you never seem to get the whole story. For example, did you know that decorator buttercream icing doesn't actually have butter but butter flavour? That's why if you make it with butter it won't stand up into nifty shapes.

Anyways, we learned how to make character cakes (I'm available for any Dora, Disney Princess or Lightening McQueen cakes... or anything else Wilton sells pans for really...) and we learned standard borders, lettering, outlining and roses. The roses took the longest (no surprise there, really...) But, we ended up with a cake to take home, which my friends and coworkers demolished in no time!

And yes, you eat WAY too much icing... all those little finger licks add up. I think I'm cured from icing cravings for a long, long time!

Are you ready for it? Drum roll please......

1 comment:

Poledra said...

Excellent job - now I know who to go for to decorate my cakes~ Jen