So, not only do I attempt my own meager blog, but I enjoy reading a few select ones out there. Some are from "real life" friends, but there is one that was referred to me that I don't know the author at all, and I've always really enjoyed reading. Magazine Man's "Somewhere on the masthead" is a really excellent blog. He's a magazine editor, and (consequently?) an excellent writer. Who happens to have led an interesting life on which he gives a very funny perspective. (My favourite post is the Holiday Letter from the Dog, Blaze "In which he has a bone to pick").
Anyways, it has been about 6 months that I've been eavesdropping on this family's escapades. Her Lovely Self (Magazine Man's wife) was Her Lovely Enormously Pregnant Self because... they had a baby! (Who received the online name of "The Eclair; a delicate little pastry filled with goo".)
Now here is where it gets sad...
The next post after meet the Eclair is that Magazine Man's parents - both of them - were killed in a massive terrible traffic accident in the States - on their way to meet the Eclair. His words were so personal and raw and honest. And he's still writing! You can tell his blog for him is so special and personal - he's using it as a place to cope and share as well as to entertain. It's such a tragic story, and I'm really sad for them. My prayers are with Magazine Man, Her Lovely Self, Thomas, The Brownie, The Eclair, and Blaze.
On my end, I'm finding my reaction to this a bit... new. All this time, I've been reading about this family, and now I feel saddened by their loss - and they don't even know I exist. It's like being affected by a news story, but on some level I know some rather intimate details of their lives, and yet I really don't know them at all. I don't know what more to say, except I'm struck by the community that the Internet offers (shown by the outpouring of messages to Magazine Man by all his readers) and how cyberspace has shrunk the size of the world a bit and brought us all closer together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment